Talks and presentations
- “(Dis)embeddedness in Latin American Data Work.” American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. Online. August 2021.
- “Sociology of Artificial Intelligence.” Ideas for Future Research. American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. Online. August 2021. (With I. Kozlowska)
- “The Social Networks and Data Annotation in Latin America.” 4th Annual Meeting of the Society for Social Studies of Science. Toronto, Canada. October 2021.
- “Labor Disembeddedness in Machine Learning Data Annotation.” Association of Internet Researchers Annual Meeting. Online. October 2021.
- “The Platform Dystopia.” Views on Techno-Utopia Workshop. Absolutely Interdisciplinary Conference. Schwartz Reisman Institute.
- “Unbiased.” In “A New AI Lexicon? : Challenges to the Critical AI discourse.” Panel organized by the AI Now Institute for RightsCon. June 2021.
- “Power Relations in Machine Learning Annotation.” 7th Annual Conference of the Canadian Association of Work and Labour Studies. Online. June 2021. (With M. Miceli)
- “The Coloniality of Crowdsourcing.” Canadian Communication Association Annual Meeting. Online. June 2021.
- “Personal Networks in Crowdsourcing.” Canadian Sociological Association Conference. Online. June 2021.
- “Gender and AI: Implications for diversity and equality at work.” Gender in Management Special Interest Group. British Academy of Management. May 2021.
- “Dissembeddedness in Data Annotation for Machine Learning.” Ethics of AI in Context: Emerging Scholars. Centre for Ethics, University of Toronto. April 2021.
- Work & AI Panel. Histories of AI: South-North Dialogues. Mellon Sawyer Seminar, University of Cambridge. April 2021.
- “The Politics of Data Production in Machine Learning.” Politics and Ethics of Platform Labour: Learning from Lived Experiences. University of Cambridge. April 2021. (With M. Miceli)
- “The Coloniality of Data Annotation Platforms.”Platform Governance Research Network Conference. Online. March 2021.
- “The Invisible Workers Behind Artificial Intelligence.” High Table. Trinity College, University of Toronto. March 2021.
- “Career Transitions and Next Steps on the Journey: Insights and Lessons Learned on the Path forward from Graduate Studies.” 5th Ursula Franklin Forum. Massey College. March 2021
- “Social Licence: Using and Managing Data in ways that Members of the Public Support.” The Massey Dialogues. Massey College, University of Toronto, January 2021. (With A. Paprica and K. Jansa)
- “The Promise and Perils of AI Ethics for the Present of Work.” Junior Fellows Lecture Series. Massey College, University of Toronto, Canada, December 2020
- “A Question of Power: How Task Instructions Shape Training Data.” Second Symposium on Biases in Human Computation and Crowdsourcing, November 2020. (With M. Miceli)
- “Social Reproduction in Human-Aided Artificial Intelligence.” Doctoral Consortium. The Eight AAAI Conference on Human Computation and Crowdsourcing, October 2020.
- “From Development to Deployment: For a Comprehensive Approach to Ethics of AI and Labour.” Annual Conference. Association of Internet Researchers, October 2020.
- “Platform Cooperativism and Capitalism at Work.” Student Forum. American Sociological Association, United States, August 2020. Student Forum cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- “Working remotely, telecommuting, and the workers of digital platforms.” Telephone union of the Mexican Republic, Mexico, June 2020, Online. (With A. Casilli)
- “Programmed Inequalities in Platform Labour.” Annual Meeting. Canadian Communication Association, Canada, June 2020. Conference cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- “Structural Inequalities: The Case of Deliveroo & SMart.” Annual Conference. Canadian Work and Labour Studies Association, Canada, June 2020. Conference cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- “COVID-19 and Digital Labour: The Fate of Last Mile Workers.” The Massey Dialogues. Massey College, Canada, March 2020, Online. (With A. Casilli and B. McPhail)
- Guest Lecturer, CCT418: Work, Media, and Technology, University of Toronto Mississauga, Feb. (2020)
- “Microwork: An Introduction.” Microwork Workshop. Toronto Taskforce Innovation Group, Government of Ontario, Canada, December 2019.
- “The Ghost Workers of Artificial Intelligence.” Junior Fellows Lecture Series. Massey College, University of Toronto, Canada, September 2019.
- “The Labour Behind AI: Micro-Work and the Platform Economy.” Ethics of AI in Context: Emerging Scholars. Centre for Ethics, University of Toronto, July 2019.
- “Platform Co-Operatives: A Comparative Study of Worker-Owned Labour Platforms.” Association of Internet Researchers Doctoral Colloquium. Montreal, Canada, October 2018.
- “Click-work in the kitchen: How digital platforms transform labour in the restaurant industry.” Presented at the British Sociological Association “Work, Employment and Society” Conference. Belfast, United Kingdom, September 2018. (With P. Tubaro, A. Casilli, É. Pénalva-Icher, and P. Caillou)
- “The elephant in the dining room: Digital platforms and the restaurant industry.” Digital Capitalism conference, King’s College London, UK, March 2018. (With P. Tubaro, A. Casilli, É. Pénalva-Icher, and P. Caillou)
- “From online quality valuations to a new division of labour: How platforms transform value creation in the restaurant industry.” Work and Employment in an Era of Platform Capitalism conference, France, February 2018. (With P. Tubaro, A. Casilli, É. Pénalva-Icher, and P. Caillou)
- “Inconspicuous digital labor and online quality valuations: The case of a French restaurant and booking platform.” Presented at the Reshaping Work Conference, Amsterdam University College. Amsterdam, Netherlands, October 2017. (With P. Tubaro, A. Casilli, É. Pénalva-Icher, and P. Caillou)
- “Construction of citizen knowledge: a study of an online assembly.” Graduate student conference in sociology. EHESS. Paris, France, June 2017.